- Do you feel overwhelmed, inundated by your office, out of control, overscheduled
and full of mental and physical stress?
- Are you running faster, multi-tasking more and feeling that you can’t get ahead?
- Do you accumulate piles of all the things you need to “decide”? e.g. “I might
need this info some day!”, “I don’t know if this is important”, “I don’t have time to
deal with this now”…
- Do you spend money on expos, advertising, brochures, networking etc. without a
clear understanding of the real costs or payback (ROI – return on investment
both for money AND time)?
- Do you lose sales and opportunities because of lack of timely follow-up?
Running a home-based business or working as an entrepreneur is different! Time
management skills and workflow/follow-up processes are critical for success. When you
do not have strong, well thought out decision making criteria, it’s easy for piles to
accumulate, procrastination to set in and time to fly by unproductively.
It’s about getting a 30,000 foot view:
It’s not about multitasking faster, sleeping less, buying more storage containers and
forcing your inbox to 0. These only deal with symptoms vs. the causes.
THE KEY to being organized and productive LONG-TERM is the ability for you to see
the bigger picture and assess where you are and what you want to accomplish. This
includes planning and goal setting. You get stuck and stressed when you don’t have a
plan because you don’t know where to start. Getting organized and productively
managing time requires having the following decision making criteria in place:
1) What to let in
2) Where is it going to go – schedule & space
3) When are you done & 4) what’s the exit strategy?
I help my clients with these questions every day. It is the foundation to all work – at
office, home and life. These are some tips that will get you going in the right direction:
3 Secrets to long term success:
1) Work with someone on big picture goals. Determine what is important – set priorities.
2) Be selective. Set up appropriate decision making criteria to realistically assess
opportunities and obligations you take on. This is the number 1 thing I coach my clients
on – ALWAYS!
3) Simplify your life. Develop good habits and get into routines that keep you on track
both at work and at home.
It’s Really All About You (and your market) Questions:
What is your biggest issue?
What do you need to work on?
What is keeping you from moving forward on this?
Is it time to call Within Reach Organizing Services?
Mary Dykstra Novess MBA, CRTS, CPO is a Certified Professional Organizer, speaker and Time
Management Coach. Mary helps corporate, residential and entrepreneurial clients get organized long
term and has extensive experience in working with people with ADD/ADHD. She is past Director of
Examination Development for The Board of Certified Professional Organizers and past National President
of National Association of Professional Organizers. (616) 453-2976 email@example.com.